Hi, and a warm welcome to the School Council page, written by the 2018-2019 School Council! We shake you warmly by the hand! We are going to tell you about what we do, who we are and why we have a School Council. Our mission is:
"To be the voice of the pupils of Water Street School"
We want our school to be a safe and happy place to be.
Being part of the School Council is a very important role as we have been elected to represent the pupils in driving through some of the changes that they want to see in school. We are the voice of the pupils at Water Street and work hard to make sure we are heard. We also take a lead role in being responsible for fundraising, raffles, fairs, etc.
We are committed to looking for ways to improve the school for all pupils. We are constantly looking to make school a better place as we think this will encourage the pupils to really achieve and enjoy their time at Water Street School. We manage this by having regular meetings with the representatives from each class, speaking in assemblies to let the school know what we are doing; we have also presented to the school governing body so we know what the pupils want to see changed.
We have a suggestion box where pupils can put their ideas, we are available to be spoken to and we send out questionnaires. We promise to listen to each and every idea put to us.
Last year's School Council were responsible for bringing about many changes. We ran a great coffee morning for parents to raise money for Sport Relief! They got staff to run the afternoon and lunch time clubs pupils wanted. They helped improve the toilets and cloakroom spaces. They also raised lots of money for charity. They even received a certificate from the "Speakers School Council Awards" for all their hard work and achievements.
We want to make sure that this year we do just as well, if not better!
The 2020 - 2021 School Council manifestos were:
- I will try and get a shelter in the playground.
- I will try and get school dinners’ and packed lunches to sit together normally.
- I would like more clubs; with art, computing and science particularly.
- I will try and raise more money for school through fundraising with non-uniform days and cake sales
I’d like the toilet doors to be higher.
- I will try to get a pet fish for every class.
- I would like more drawing displays around school.
- I would like to fundraise to allow there to be more wooden benches on the patio.
- I would like higher doors for the girls and boys toilets.
- I will try to ensure there are more art activities in class.
- I would like there to be a non-uniform day on the last day of the school year.
- I would like there to be more equipment like stilts and balls at playtime.
- I would like a reading box in the library to give everyone ideas for what to read next.
- I will try and organise it so that school dinners and packed lunches sit together on certain days.
- I would like to raise money for more equipment by having cake sales and am open to other ideas.
- I would like to install bike racks in school.
- I would like each class to have its own pet.
- I would like Star Award winners to be allowed to sit with packed lunch friends, or dinners.
- I would like there to be higher toilet doors.
- I would like there to be a day of the week for indoor play.
- I would like to raise money to get new benches on the patio.
- I would like there to be higher toilet doors for both boys and girls.
- I would like the whole school to celebrate fun events by being allowed to dress up.
- On the very last day of school, I would like everyone to be able to bring in cupcakes to celebrate.
- I would like there to be a basketball hoop on the top playground.
- I will try to make the school plastic free.
- I would like to install bike racks around school.
- I would like to start a Craft Club, perhaps via Zoom or a Tutorial on the School YouTube channel.
- I would like to raise the toilet doors.
- I believe everyone can make a difference, and every idea and voice is important - so
- I would like to organise an ‘ideas box’ for everyone at Water Street School for ideas for the School Council.
- I would like there to be basket ball nets on the top playground.
- I think there should be more bins around school.
- I would like there to be bike racks available to Key Stage 2.
- I think a playground weather shelter would be a great idea!